VOTING - Separating from Active Duty

As you transition back to civilian life, you will no longer be covered by UOCAVA. ACTIVE Service members, their eligible family members, and overseas citizens are covered by The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA).

You and your eligible family members should notify your election office of your change in voter registration status and update your information so that you can begin to vote locally. You may do this in either one or two easy steps.

1. If you have voted absentee or locally and are staying in the same voting residence after separation.Notify your election office of your change in status and that you will be voting locally for future elections. A sample letter is provided for your convenience.


2. If you voted absentee or locally and are moving to a new State or county after separation:

Moving Abroad: If you will be moving abroad after separating from the military, you will remain a UOCAVA voter. You should send in a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) with your updated mailing address and new classification selection. The FPCA can be found at Your voting residence address in the U.S. will remain the same.

Additional Voting Resources: